I began by taking in the side seams. I marked a straight line in from the existing side seam, pinned it like crazy, then straight stitched down the line. My new side seam is approximately 2.5" in from the old side seam (taking roughly 5" out of each side of the tank-top).
I used on this shirt to make it into a dress-up for my little girl.
*update: I actually decided I didn't like the clear elastic on this shirt, so I removed it and used a 1/8" woven elastic (in white) instead. It was much easier to work with, and I didn't need to tape the presser foot again.
Because the shirt started out as a XXL, it was a few inches too long. I didn't want the shirt to feel/look like a maternity shirt, so I decided to shorten it. While the shirt was on my body, I pinned a side seam where I wanted the shirt to hit my hip. I then measured the difference between the pin and the existing hem (after shirt was off my body), then marked the difference around the entire bottom hem. I cut approximately 1.5" off the bottom, including the existing hem, then made a guide stitch around the entire shirt to make my new hem.
Thanks for stopping by!